Many men and women face dry hair which is mostly brittle. Dry hair tends to fall off . There is lack of shine in hair. However, with diet changes and some home remedies, one can improve dry hair condition. The real cause behind dry hair ? Most people who have dry hair wonder – ” Why is my hair so dry? ” ” Is there some problem in my hair care routine ? ” Well, the cause of dry hair often lies deep down below in your diet and overall skin health. You should ask this question to yourself – Is your entire skin dry and dehydrated too ? Dry hair is probably due to an unbalanced diet. It takes time to correct that. However, hair care remedies can also help a lot in giving shine, water and adhesion to your hair.
Hair feels dry and quickly dries even after applying water. Hair may be brittle, lifeless and try to run apart from one another. Ideally, many hair shafts should adhere together for better protection.
There are many commonly known remedies for dry hair, like using mayonnaise, hot oil treatments, moisturizers and things like that. Well, these are only applicable for occasional dry hair. For people with chronically dry hair all day long, one needs more powerful natural remedies.
( Photo Courtesy: nostri-imago )
Buckle up for the most powerful dry hair home remedies.
These natural treatments work for any kind of hair, curly or straight and both for men and women.
1. Eliminate Dehydration Inside
The root cause of dry hair can be chronic dehydration. This is dehydration inside the body cells and not on the outside. Some people may not be able to retain water well enough and cells are always thirsty for water.
- Eat water rich foods, like tomatoes, watermelons, cucumbers. They replenish water fast.
- Drink vegetable juices ( 1 glass green juice a day is enough ). Green juices are very hydrating. The water from these foods is better used than regular water. As such it helps to overcome water deficit.
- Do not drink too much coffee. It is dehydrating on the system.
Water from fruits and vegetables is readily absorbed into the body. One can feel the difference right away.
Apply yogurt to the hair and let it stay that way for half an hour. Wash it with warm water. It lends hydration and moisture protection to hair. Yogurt is also nutritious for the hair, providing it with protein. Overall, it forms a very nice natural serum for hair. A similar effect is created by using mayonnaise or clarified butter. But, honestly, yogurt has much better and longer lasting results. Do this every 3 days and you would not have dry hair. TIP : Do not use fat free yogurt as it is no use. Fat is essential to seal moisture within the hair shafts.
What all should a shampoo contain ?
- Cleansing agent, like a natural surfactant to get rid of dirt, dust, sticky stuff and small particles.
- Nourishers ( those which provide nourishment to hair follicles )
- Anti-dandruff agent ( you don’t want dandruff building on your scalp )
- Anti bacterial and anti fungal agent ( A fungus species is major cause of hair loss )
- Anti – sticking agent ( you don’t want the shampoo to stick on your head and never leave ). Oils are good anti-sticking agent as most ingredients dissolve in oil, not water.
So, lets build the DIY homemade shampoo. It will not be cheap, but it is very good for the hair.
- Liquid castile soap ( It is an organic vegetable soap made with olive oil )
- Coconut oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar ( organic )
- Castor Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
1 cup castile soap, 4 tablespoon coconut oil, 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 10 drops castor oil , 5 drops tea tree oil. Mix them very well and place in a dark colored bottle. Use small amount of this shampoo each time you shower. If your dry hair does not resolve with this natural shampoo, add argan oil to this shampoo.
4. Argan Oil ( The best oil for dry hair )
Argan oil has soared in popularity in recent years, mainly because it is great for damaged hair. Argan oil is also terrific for dry hair. This oil comes from a tree which grows in Morocco , in very dry climate. That is why, this oil has nice moisturizing and hydrating properties . Moreover, it is full of vitamins and minerals which provide nutrition to hair follicles.
- How to choose argan oil ?
Go for authentic and organic argan oil. The best ones have pomegranate seed oil mixed with it to prevent it from rancidity.
- How to apply argan oil ?
Spray water on hair using a sprayer. Just a little water is enough. Then take 2 tablespoon argan oil on your palm and rub it into scalp. Water is important for oil to stay there. This lends shine, moisture and nutrition to hair. They look well managed. Do this every day you shampoo.
5. Macassar Oil
This is a wonderful oil formula which was used by people back in the Victorian times. It is a master detangler and it provides wonderful natural shine to hair. Its only drawback is that it is quite greasy. So, you can also use it for your photo shoots. People may not like touching this oil.
Ylang – Ylang essential oil
Essential oils of some citrus fruit, like bergamot and orange. It is difficult to make this oil at home, so one can directly purchase it. Apply this oil to the hair roots. Then massage the hair shafts. Use a very small amount. It quickly takes care of dry hair . Wash it after a few hours if it is still greasy.
6. Use baby shampoo
Many men and women report that they have gotten their natural hair back after using baby shampoo and baby oil. This shampoo is less harsh on the hair and allows them to get nutrients easily. Try this remedy. Change your regular shampoo for baby shampoo and see the results after a month.
7. Best Conditioners For Dry Hair ( All natural )
We all use conditioners from time to time. But, for dry hair, it is just not enough. One needs to do deep conditioning. There are many natural things which perform deep conditioning. This process takes 1/2 hour in total, but it is very rewarding. Hard work pays off.
Honey and Olive Oil Deep Conditioner : Mix 1 tablespoon honey in 3 – 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well and apply on wet hair. Then cover your hair with shower cap. Keep hair that way for 1/2 hour. After that, just wash off hair quickly. Enjoy your lustrous hair.
Other things that you can use for deep conditioning.
- Pure coconut oil 
- Castor oil
- Banana & Avocado deep conditioning hair mask ( It works very well )
- Plain coconut milk
People with dry hair should not rinse their hair often. It takes away natural scalp oil which nourishes the hair. One can however rinse with these natural ingredients which are excellent for dry hair condition.
- Sage tea : Wash your scalp with sage tea helps.
- Chamomile tea rinse is also great for dry hair.
- Lemons : Juice out few lemons, dilute it with mineral water and rinse scalp and hair with it.
- Birch leaf tea is also a nice hair rinse.
- Amla powder : This is the powder of Indian Gooseberry. You can easily get it. Put one tablespoon of powder in 1 glass of water. Make more if your hair are longer, keeping the concentration same. Then strain liquid after 8 hours. Rinse with the liquid.
- Rosemary tea rinse is great for dry hair as well as hair loss, which many people suffer from. Anyways, it is always better to keep your hair roots strong.
- Vinegar rinse. Use any vinegar, white or cider or balsamic.
- Plain coconut water.
9. Aloe Vera for dry hair
It is excellent for dry hair. Aloe Vera is one of the best natural humectants ( moisture attractors ).
Aloe Vera gel ( fresh and natural )
- Directions / How to use
Take some aloe vera gel in your palm. Generously apply the gel on dry hair. Let it stay that way for about 15 minutes. Then wash hair with warm water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in it. If you cannot take it off gently, use shampoo. Aloe vera is quite sticky so it doesn’t leave easily. Be gentle on your hair or they may break off.
- Why it works ?
Once you have applied aloe vera, some of it stays back. It takes moisture from the environment and keeps it locked. It is also an emollient, so moisture is not lost by evaporation or sun drying.
Do this treatment every week.
10. Shea Butter
This butter from a nut is exceptional moisturizer. You can apply a little amount on your clean hair to give it shine and reduce dryness. Shea butter can be applied daily on scalp. Just make sure you are using just enough to eliminate dryness.
11. How To Blow Dry Hair Correctly
Most of us are accustomed to using hot air to blow and dry hair. But that damages hair and takes away too much moisture. Instead use a cool breeze dryer. Its cool temperature takes more time, but it saves from hair damage, which eventually shows up as dry, untangled, frizzy and damaged hair.
12. Best Hair products for dry hair ?
The question mark there indicates a big question. Do you really need any hair products ? Think about it. Try remaining without hair care products for a few days. Instead use natural ingredients.This strategy of not using any product for a few days can yield significant results for your hair.
13. Using a hair oil
After you have showered, you should apply a hair oil. It is meant to add shine to hair and prevent moisture from escaping. If the moisture goes away, your hair would feel dry as sand. So, find and use a good hair oil. Argan oil is great. One can also try almond oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil or Indian gooseberry ( Amla ) oil. This is often ignored, but applying hair oil every week is a simple and effective way to mask dry hair.
Pour milk through the hair shafts. Use fatty milk as it provides healthy fats to the hair.
15. Avocado oil
It is considered one of the best remedies for chronic dry hair. Avocado oil applied to scalp and hair shafts leaves them soft, silky and larger volume. Many women, particularly in USA and Mexico use Avocado oil for this beneficial purpose. It can be used independent of hair oil application. The advantage of avocado oil is that it is light. And it leaves a silky feel to hair, which most of us want.
16. Check your bathing water
There is a thing called TDS which stands for total dissolved salts in water. If the water you use for bathing has high TDS, then it is probably not good for bathing. One can use a demineralizer shampoo in the shower head to prevent excess minerals from touching the scalp.
17. Exercise and sweat it out
When we sweat , our body releases toxins through the skin. It improves general health which in turn affects the health of hair. Hair manages well when we have worked out hard enough to sweat all over.
18. Vitamin Deficiencies That Lead To Dry Hair
Make sure these vitamin deficiencies are eliminated quickly to prevent dry hair.
- Biotin : Possibly the most important vitamin of them all for hair, skin and nails. Its deficiency can lead to dry hair, even hair fall. 
- Iron : People who are anaemic may fall prey to dry hair, reduced immunity and many other problematic health issues. Both women and men are at risk for hair loss in case of iron deficiency.
- Zinc : This mineral is needed for proper growth of tissues, which comprises hair . People deficient in zinc may find hair turning brittle.
- Ancient Egyptians used castor oil on hair. One can use it in combination with a hair oil and massage on the hair shafts.
- Eat fenugreek seeds. They strengthen the hair and make it possible for you to manage hair better.
- Juniper tea : Make a tea with juniper root and wash hair with it. This treatment makes hair healthier.
- Horsetail : This herb can be used in a hair wash. This improves the quality of hair.
2. The Industrial Arts of Scandinavia in the Pagan Time. By Hans Hildebrand
3. Familial Uncombable Hair Syndrome: Ultrastructural Hair Study and Response to Biotin