Contrary to what you’ve heard, potatoes are always healthy for you. However, there are different recipes for au gratin potatoes, and most of them include butter, cream, and cheese that make them the last choice for those who are on a diet. However, varying views exist on how to cook potatoes that vegans and others on a diet would love. The trick with potatoes is to watch your toppings, but they’re an ideal source for calcium, fiber, potassium, and they could be considered fat free.
The recipe below shows you how to cook potato healthily; this recipe indicates that you can still enjoy your creamy mashed potatoes without adding dairy of any kind. We’re making use of a bit of olive oil, which is good for your health, and if you don’t know how to cook potatoes without butter, we’ll be remedying that with the use of vegan butter.
What You’ll Need
- Potatoes (Whichever your choice is, make sure you don’t peel off its skin)
- Olive oil
- Rosemary (make use of the freshly minced leaves)
- Garlic (we would prefer chopped in this recipe)
- Vegan butter
- Parsley (this needs to be newly chopped and are meant for serving)
- Salt and black pepper (they’re here for tasting)
You can choose to substitute the rosemary out for thyme if you prefer; you can also choose to use oregano instead or simply combine the two.
How to Prepare Healthy Potatoes
- First, get a large pot and add water to it.
- Put in your potatoes and season it with salt.
- Cover it up and then boil your potatoes till it is completely soft; this should only take about 15 minutes.
- Once your potatoes are soft, drain out the water.
- Get a potato masher and use it in mashing the potatoes till it is completely smooth.
- Get a small saucepan and then heat oil in it over medium heat.
- Pour in your rosemary and garlic till your garlic becomes fragrant; this should only take a minute.
- Add the rosemary and then pour the oil over the mashed potatoes.
- Add the vegan butter and start stirring till everything is dully mixed and looks creamy.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the dish to taste.
- Move the potato dish to a serving bowl and then add some more pepper to it.
- Garnish it off with parsley, and your dish is ready to be served.