It is a much more serious condition than a urinary tract infection (UTI). Kidney infections can be life threatening, therefore if one suspects that there is a kidney infection, then it is best to go to a doctor. There are some home remedies for kidney infection like pyelonephritis, but they can at most provide relief from the symptoms of the infection. Many of the remedies for urinary tract infections (UTIs ) can also work in this condition, but mostly to provide relief from the symptoms. The infection may still be there and flare up any time.
The symptoms of kidney infection ( pyelonephritis )are more pronounced than a UTI .
- Sharp abdominal pain which is also felt in the back. There is pain while urinating.
- Presence of white blood cells ( leukocytes ) in urine.
- Infrequent urination and burning sensation. Urine is often cloudy.
Home remedies for kidney infection.
1. Warm Cotton Pad
This provides great relief from the pain and burning sensation while urination. Get a cotton pad and heat it up in the microwave. Apply it over the lower abdomen and relax. Keep it for about 30 minutes at a time. This provides relief from the symptoms of kidney infection. For extended relief, one can use warm salt or rice in a cotton cloth. They stay warm longer, which is even better.
2. Cranberry juice
This is one of the most researched remedy for UTIs. Take cranberry juice regularly to help the kidney in getting over the infection. Drink about 2 oz of cranberry juice many times a day. This provides the body with regular supply of nutrients from cranberry which alleviates urinary tract infection and also helps in kidney infections. It takes away the burning sensation while urination and also helps to improve urine output as it is a diuretic.
3. Lemon Juice
Drink lots of lemon juice many times a day. Lemons are strongly acidic. However, when they are metabolized, they exert a strong alkalizing effect on the body. This is good for the kidneys and liver as it helps them flush out acidic toxins. This improves the functioning of the kidneys and provides them relief from inflammation.
Prepare lemon water by taking 2 tablespoon lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water. Drink this 4 times a day.
4. Yogurt, curd and buttermilk
Increase the intake of these three foods. All of them have good bacteria, known as probiotics which help in killing harmful bacteria in the body and prevent an infection from spreading . One should eat at least 2 – 3 cups of yogurt a day for getting enough probiotics to have some effect. This yogurt should be free from any sugar and should be fresh.
5. Drink more water
Increase the intake of clean water. It makes the body urinate more, making the kidneys work regularly. Eat foods that are hydrating for the body, like watermelons and cucumbers.
6. Baking Soda
This household ingredient is a powerful remedy for infections of the urinary tract and the kidney. It is strongly basic ( alkaline ) and helps the body to maintain its natural alkaline state. Bacteria that cause UTI, or kidney infection thrive on acidic environment. They are unable to proliferate in an alkaline environment. So, baking soda, even in small amounts helps on get significant relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Directions / How to use
Add 1/2 tablespoon baking soda in 1 glass water. Drink this solution 4 times a day, evenly spread out and apart from meals. Do this for 3 – 4 days only and one should note significant relief. One should note that baking soda may not be able to kill infectious pathogens in the kidney. It just provides enough relief to be able to carry on the daily chores. One should visit a doctor to confirm whether the infection is still there or gone.
7. Alkalize Your Body
This is the concept of eating more of natural foods which exert an alkalizing effect on the body. It is believed to fight infections, inflammation and promote overall good health. Eat more of these foods.
- Dark green leafy vegetables.
- Spring water
8. Boost Your Immunity
Finally, it is the task of our immune system to get rid of this infection. One can improve the functioning of the immune system by taking some herbs, as supplement or tea.
- Echinacea tea : This herb boosts the immune system slightly. Taking Echinacea can improve the chances that the body itself fights of the infection. Prepare a herbal tea with 1 tablespoon herb in 500 ml water. Drink once a day only. 
- Olive leaf tea – The herbal tea made from olive leaves is a powerful stimulant of the immune system. Drink 1 cup of olive leaf tea once every day.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C – Get as much Vitamin C as possible from natural sources, like citrus fruits, mangoes, chilli, vegetables and berries.
- Berries for antioxidants – Juice of berries, like blueberry, blackberry and strawberry are great in case of kidney infection. They all support the body in getting rid of an infection. They provide good amounts of antioxidants which helps to reduce oxidative stress on our body.
1 clove pf garlic a day acts as a natural antibiotic for the body. And the best part is that pathogens, like bacteria and not able to get resistant to the antibacterial action of garlic. This makes it a simple and very effective remedy for putting an end to kidney infection . One should ideally take 1 – 2 cloves of raw garlic with water or juice. If you can’t stand garlic in raw form, sautee it in your favorite oil and then use it in recipes.
Take 1 tablespoon of honey 2 – 3 times a day. Honey is an anti-bacterial substance and as such helps in case of a bacterial infection of the kidney.
11. Natural Diuretics to increase urine output
The kidneys try to flush out the bacteria through urine. However, urine out put may be altered in people suffering a kidney infection. Diuretics are foods that increase the amount of urine produced by the body.
- Green tea
- Dandelion root – taken as herbal tea is a powerful natural diuretic. It helps the kidneys flush out toxins.
12. Corn silk
Take some silk ( or hair of maize ) of corn and put it in water. Boil this solution and drink it. Corn silk water has been known to improve the functioning of the urinary system. Similarly, barley water is also a good tonic for the body.
2. Probiotic agents to protect the urogenital tract against infection.
3. Echinacea: Nature’s Immune Enhancer. By Steven Foster
4. Herbs as a Food and Medicine Source in Palestine , Aref Abu-Rabia